Network Rail, following a competitive tender process incorporating an architectural design competition and BS11000-1 Behaviour Assessment, has awarded the £6million Wakefield Westgate “Gateway” Station project to Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd. Working in collaboration with Network Rail the Buckingham Team, including CJCT Architects and designers Amey, completed the detailed design (Grip stage 5) to the agreed programme and construction works are now commencing on site.
Dan Guiher, Network Rail Commercial Sponsor, says
“the new Wakefield Westgate Station will provide rail travellers and station staff with modern, enhanced station facilities utilising a highly sustainable design. The Buckingham Team have delivered proactively and collaboratively within a constrained programme to date and the Project Team is looking forward to welcoming rail users to their new station when completed at the end of this year”
Cllr Peter Box CBE, Leader of Wakefield Council, said: “We are pleased that work is now starting to bring a new rail station to Wakefield. This has always been an integral part of the master plan for the re-development of the area, it will provide a modern gateway to the city centre and complement other key developments in the area.”
The overall scope of the project is:
- The construction of a new, BREEAM 2011 Excellent rated Station Building including DfT Code of Practice compliant lifts providing step free access to Platform 1 & Platform 2 and a new enclosed footbridge between Platform 1 and Platform 2
- The Station embraces a modern open plan foyer including a travel centre, enhanced retail outlets, coffee shops and a First Class Lounge
- Section 278 street works to create a new station entrance & exit
- A new integrated transport interchange providing a functional forecourt with Taxi / car drop-off, short stay parking and bus replacement facilities with provision for Wakefield’s free access bus
- Enhanced Public Realm area providing quality open public space with a multiple use garden space to the station frontage
- All associated M&E Services and utility supplies
- Street/wayfinding signage, seating, poster frames and street furniture
The scheme also requires close, collaborative working with East Coast Main Line Co., who manage the station and are the ultimate client of the Project, and Network Rail to transfer existing operating services to the new station building.
Simon Walkley Rail Director of Buckingham Group Contracting stated, “We are delighted that Network Rail has shown confidence in our Team and the proposed design in awarding this high-profile prestigious contract to Buckingham Group. This is the latest in a number of recent awards that continues to strengthen our relationship with Network Rail Teams throughout the country. Having delivered the detailed design to Grip 5 on time and on budget we now focussing on delivering the same performance through the construction stage and handing over the BREEAM Excellent Wakefield Station in November”.