Peak Forest Extension Completed – Safely, on time and under budget
Major congratulations go to the IPNP Enhancement / Buckingham Group team for another successful delivery.
On 29th March 2019, IP Northern Programmes Enhancements and Buckingham Group achieved Entry Into Service (EIS) for the £14 million upgrade to Network Rail’s Strategic Freight Network.
Extending the Peak Forest Railway sidings by 430 meters provides an economic boost for the UK and future infrastructure projects:
- Allowing longer freight trains to operate between the Peak District and the south of England
- Allowing freight companies, who use the sidings as a turnback facility (to get to the local quarries), to increase their number of wagons per train from 18 to 26
- Increasing capacity so up to 2,500 tonnes of materials could be transported by each train
Having longer freight trains helps create a cleaner environment by reducing congestion on our road network:
- Each freight train takes 76 lorries off the road
- Each tonne of freight cuts carbon emissions by 76%
Built on a former council tip – that has been landscaped and made safe for local residents – the scheme was initially deemed unaffordable due to problems envisaged in dealing with the old unlicensed tip that the new sidings would pass over.
The project team developed a strategy mitigating both the risk and the cost of dealing with material within the tip, resulting in the vast majority of waste being treated and re-used on site. Due to the need for the sidings extension to be built on 3rd party land, the project had to go through the process of obtaining a transport and works act order (TWAO) which required public consultations.
The scheme was approved and received funding early in 2018 and following detailed design works began in earnest in May 2018. Given the project is situated at the heart of the Peak District it is not surprising the team have faced variable weather challenges from rain and sunshine to heavy snow. Despite this the team has delivered a fantastic project, safely, on programme and in addition delivering an efficiency saving of over £4m on the project budget.
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Buckingham Group
With a company history spanning over 63 years, Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd is a major multi-disciplinary contractor with a turnover exceeding £500m. We are an established Principal Contractor providing a range of fully integrated, versatile and flexible services to Public and Private Sector Clients throughout the UK & Ireland. Operating from our Head Office, near Silverstone, and regional offices in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Warrington and Doncaster our services include:
- Sports stadia and leisure facilities
- Major Infrastructure works for development sites
- Highways, bridges and structures
- High quality Building projects, (Offices, distribution warehousing and manufacturing facilities) to BREEAM Excellent
- Rail Stations including new build and refurbishment
- Railways and rail engineering
- The delivery of complex site remediation projects
- Demolition and deconstruction projects
For further information please contact:
Buckingham Group Contracting
Silverstone Road, Stowe
Buckingham, MK18 5LJ
Tel: 01280 823355